Face coverings are now mandatory in Scotland’s shops. The new rules apply to most consumers, however they do not apply to:
- A child under the age of five.
- Police officers on duty.
- Emergency services workers responding to an emergency.
- Retail staff, where there is a partition between themselves and the public, or a distance of at least two metres is maintained between staff and the public.
- Where that person is undertaking food handling tasks, in order to avoid risk to the hygiene or safety of food.
- Those with underlying medical conditions.
The Scottish Government has also confirmed that retailers are not responsible for enforcing the new rules.